Patio doors are a great way to combine your indoor and outdoor space with ease and to allow natural sunlight to flood into your home. They can add a beautiful, contemporary touch to the home. But which patio door is right for you? The two most popular styles are French patio doors and sliding glass doors. In today’s blog, let’s break down the pros and cons of each to help you decide which is the right option for your Orange County home.
French Patio Doors
French patio doors are hinged double doors, typically mostly made up of glass panes. These doors have a more traditional look perfect for cottage or rustic home design, though they can be made to look contemporary as well. They can be made to swing out or swing in, depending on where you need the most space.
French Patio Door pros include:
- Allows for more sunlight while still keeping with a traditional interior design.
- Great for ventilation as they can be opened wide.
- Easily customizable and coming in a number of styles.
French Patio Door cons include:
- More expensive than sliding glass doors.
- Requires more space than sliding glass doors.
- Not as energy efficient as sliding glass doors.
Sliding Glass Patio Doors
Sliding glass patio doors are a combination between doors and large windows. They are large panes of glass with narrow frames that run on a track, moving from left to right. Typically, they can be opened on either side, and they allow the maximum amount of sunlight into the space.
Sliding Glass Patio Door pros include:
- Great for contemporary homes due to the sleek, modern nature.
- Does not open in or out, allowing for the optimization of space.
- Narrow frames allow more sunlight in and boosts energy efficiency.
Sliding Glass Patio Door cons include:
- Unless vinyl can be awfully expensive.
- Might not match style of home.
- Only 1 of the doors opens
Which type of patio door is the right option for your Orange County home? The important thing is to have a great door company do help you find the right door and to install it. Contact Today’s Entry Doors today for more information or a free estimate.